Common Entrance Exams (11+ and 13+ )
- The ISEB (Independent Schools Examinations Board) Common Entrance Exams test English and Maths for all schools
- Some schools also test other subjects, such as Science, History, Geography, additional modern language and Latin
- English paper tends to contain two main components:
1. Reading comprehension (factual or fictional passages) & Poetry
2. Written composition (narrative, descriptive, informative or persuasive)
Ampla’s Preparation Courses
Following our initial assessment, students will receive a customised plan based on the following curriculum which is designed to imitate UK school assessments.
- Practice reading different texts and long passages
- Text analysis and inference skills (e.g. “explain what is implied by”)
- Understand and be able to identify a range of literary devices
- Practice structuring clearly explained answers (e.g. PEE = Point, Evidence, Explanation)
- It may help to keep up with current affairs as news articles sometimes appear in exams
- Essay planning and structuring. Submit your essay plan along with your essay wherever possible. If you run out of time and do not finish writing, you may still get marks from your essay plan
- Develop grammar accuracy, especially tense consistency
- Learn set phrases that help with storytelling and essay structure
- Practice including description, opinion and personal opinion in writing (not just fact listing)
- Develop arguments in essays
- Calculators are usually not allowed, so mental arithmetic is important
- Work on Maths terminology and wordy Maths questions
- Make a habit of showing working as examiners give marks for this even if the final answer is wrong
Ampla’s ISEB Course Highlights
- 24/7 on-demand tutoring with our experienced team of UK boarding school specialists
- Flexible scheduling: online/ face-to-face lessons available
- Tailor-made lesson plan complemented by weekly timed quizzes and progress reports
A week-by-week study plan specifically designed for you.
Review each topic with a focus on weaker areas, with condensed notes and study materials provided.
Cover test-taking strategies including time management, making informed guesses and how to handle stress.
Familiarise with different exam styles/ techniques/ mark schemes through practice papers.
Contact us now to schedule a mock test and arrange a complimentary meeting with our dedicated UK boarding school specialists.