Who Can Apply
The Parent of a Child Student Visa is a UK short-stay visa that allows one of the parents to accompany their child to the UK. The child must be between the the ages of 4 and 11 and studying at a UK independent school under a UK Child Student Visa.
- Your child is under 12 years old.
- Your child is applying for a child student.
- You are the only parent accompanying your child in the UK.
- The other parent is not in the UK and is not seeking to go there.
- You have enough money to support yourself and your child in the UK.
- You maintain your main home outside the UK.
- You plan to leave the UK when your visa expires.
- You do not intend to work or study during your stay.
- You intend to live with the child student during your stay.
Documents Needed To Apply
When you apply you’ll need to provide:
- a current passport or other valid travel document
- proof that you have enough money to support yourself and your child– unless you’ve been in the UK for at least 12 months on a valid visa
- evidence that you have a permanent home outside the UK
Depending on your circumstances, you might also need to provide:
- your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the TB test
- a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh
Extend Your Visa
You can apply to extend your visa while in the UK as long as you and your child meet the eligibility requirements. This includes if your child currently has a Tier 4 (Child) student visa.
How long you can stay
When you extend your visa you can stay in the UK until the date your child’s student visa expires or they turn 12, whichever happens first. To extend your visa, you must apply before your current visa expires. You can stay in the UK until you get a decision on your visa application.
To get a decision within 5 working days
If you’re eligible you can choose the ‘priority service’ when you apply. You’ll need to pay £500 in addition to the application fee.
You’ll get a decision within 5 working days. The time starts from either:
- the day of your appointment, if you prove your identity at aUK Visa and Citizen Application Services (UKVCAS) appointment centre
- the working day after you finished uploading your documents, if you use the‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app
You’ll be told whether you can prove your identity at a UKVCAS centre or using the app when you apply.
To get a decision by the end of the next working day
If you’re eligible you can choose the ‘super priority service’ when you apply. You’ll need to pay £800 in addition to the application fee.
You’ll get a decision:
- by the end of the next working day after your appointment, if your appointment is on a weekday
- 2 working days after your appointment, if your appointment is at the weekend or on a bank holiday
You cannot get a decision by the end of the next working day if you use the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app.
Financial Requirements for a Parent of a Child Student Visa
- You need to have £1,560 for each month of your intended stay in the UK for up to nine months.
- You need to have £625 for each month of your intended stay in the UK for up to nine months for any child under your care other than the child student.
- You will need to have the money for at least 28 days prior to the application date.
How Ampla Education can help?
We provide inclusive visa application services:
- Advise on which visa is right for you
- Help you compile the documents needed
- Prepare your application
- Book and manage appointments
- Upload documents to parent visa application centre portals
- Consult with the Home Office and other stakeholders for you
- Coordinate the approval of your Parent of a Child Student Visa application
- Answer any questions you have along every step of the application process
- Submit school applications and any supporting documents that can strengthen your application
- Provide exam preparation and interview coaching lessons, both online or in-person (in Hong Kong/ UK)
- Arrange school tours (if you can visit the UK)
- Advise on final school selection
- Ensure a smooth arrival in the UK
To find out more about Ampla Education’s test preparation courses and boarding school application services, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Ampla Education – Unauthorised use of this material without permission is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full credit is given to Ampla Education.