What is the ISEB Pre-Test?
- The Common Pre-Tests by ISEB (Independent Schools Examinations Board) is an age-standardised measure of children’s ability, attainment and potential
- For children in Year 6 or Year 7, prior to entry to senior schools
- Candidates are registered by the senior school for which they have applied to (not by own registration)
- A further assessment in Year 8 may be required after being offered a place in senior school (Common Entrance Exam or Scholarship exams)
- Common Pre-test by ISEB is not the only pre-test available, but is one of the most popular
ISEB Pre-Test Format
- Online and adaptive assessment with multiple-choice questions
- Comprised of four elements (Verbal Reasoning, Non-Verbal Reasoning, English and Mathematics)
- Duration: around 2.5 hours)
- Usually taken at candidate’s own school/ the senior school for which he or she is entered/ at an independent testing centre
- Taken between 1 October and 13 June each year
Common words, antonyms, word combinations, letter transfer, number codes
Non-Verbal Reasoning (32 minutes)
Shape analogies, classes, horizontal codes
● The four elements can be taken together or at separate times
● Use of pencil and paper not permitted except for the Maths part
● For each question candidates must select an answer from multiple choices and press ‘next’ to submit
● Candidates cannot go back to previous questions once he/ she has submitted their response by pressing the ‘next’ button.
- Available to all senior schools for which the candidate has registered (thus no need for repeated testing)
- Only one test is taken per academic year
- If multiple tests are taken in the same year, only the first test result will stand
- If pre-test is passed, schools may offer a place to the candidate on the condition that they pass the Common Entrance at 13+ / at the end of Year 8
- Some schools may invite students with high performance in pre-test to enter their next stage of application
- Competitive senior schools may use the result to de-select candidates
Ampla’s ISEB Pre-Test Prep Courses
Following our initial assessment, students will receive a customised plan based on the following curriculum which is designed to imitate UK school assessments.
- Synonyms and antonyms
- Word combinations
- Letter transfer
- Number codes
- Vocabulary booster
- Regular quizzes
- Shape analogies
- Pattern sequences
- Similar classes
- Horizontal codes
- Reading comprehension
- Sentence completion
- Spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Key terms
- Important concepts
- Required formulae
ISEB Pre-Test Course Highlights
- 24/7 on-demand tutoring with our experienced team of UK boarding school specialists
- Flexible scheduling: online/ face-to-face lessons available
- Tailor-made lesson plan complemented by weekly timed quizzes and progress reports
- Familiarise children with the computer interface and answer questions under timed conditions
- Supported by Atom Learning, an adaptive mock test platform that allows our tutors to track students’ learning progress at home [Receive 10% off by using the discount code: WBQeJuxB]
A week-by-week study plan specifically designed for you by our UK consultants.
Review each topic with a focus on weaker areas, with condensed notes and study materials provided.
Cover test-taking strategies including time management, making informed guesses and how to handle stress.
Familiarise with different exam styles/ techniques/ mark schemes through practice papers.
Contact us now to schedule a mock test and arrange a complimentary meeting with our dedicated UK boarding school specialists.