Brighton College is an independent, co-educational boarding and day school for boys and girls aged 3 to 18 in Brighton, England. The school educates over 1,100 pupils and has three sites: Brighton College; Brighton College Preparatory School; and the Pre-Prep School.
The College offers two-year A Level programmes and two year GCSEs and one year GCSEs. Only maths is streamed in Fourth Form, so pupils learn in a mixed ability environment. This means they get to know their peers, and we see friendships develop that last beyond their time at the College. Each lesson provides support for learning, and pupils are guided by dedicated Form Tutors and Housemistresses or Housemasters.
Presentation Skills Course
The course, unique to Brighton College, covers practical skills such as speech writing, as well as the opportunity to study of some of the great speeches of history. Posture, breathing and intonation are all covered as well as voice modulation and speech analysis.
Covering all the skills necessary for both formal and informal presentations, to both small and large audiences, with props and without, the new Creative Learning Centre allows teachers to film and play back presentations so that all of the pupils can assess and improve in both ability and confidence.
Critical Thinking Course
Unique, and devised by Brighton College’s own staff, this course equips students with the skills needed to construct and critique arguments, as well as considering the development of contemporary British society.
Brighton College is the first independent school to include entrepreneurship in the curriculum. Old Brightonians, parents and entrepreneurs contribute to this exciting programme which includes an annual day where they mentor the Sixth Formers. Pupils then create an original product and market it before industry experts in a Dragon’s-Den style competition.
- 37 Oxbridge offers
- 450+ offers from Russell Group universities
- Early offers from the USA, including Columbia and Michigan
The main points of entry for overseas students are Year 9 (13+), 10 (14+) and 12 (16+).
- Stage 1: Enquiring
- Send us your current school report
- UKiset report (non-English native language speaking applicants are encouraged to submit one)
- Stage 2: Registering
- We will send you an online application form (deadline September the year before entry)
- Stage 3: Assessments (September to October)
- Interviews will be scheduled after the written assessments
- 11+ assessments in English, Maths, Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning
- 13+ written papers in English as an Additional Language OR English, and Maths
- 14+ written papers in English, Verbal Reasoning and Maths
- 16+ written papers in Verbal Reasoning, Maths and a General paper assessing aptitudes in scientific reasoning, reading and writing
- Stage 4: Results
- Results will be released end of November
Why should you apply to study at Brighton College?
- Regularly achieves the best A-level and GCSE results of any co-educational school in the UK
- Numerous Oxbridge offers each year
- One of the first schools to introduce gender neutral school uniforms and toilets
- Stimulating lessons and multitude of enrichment opportunities
- Plastic-free campus
- Excellent facilities: university standard laboratories, a 25-metre swimming pool, an indoor and rooftop running track (with sea views), a double-height sports hall, greenhouse, cinema, breakout spaces, fitness suite and aerobics studio; there are also plans for a new Performing Arts Complex
- Sunday Times School of the Decade 2020
- England’s Independent School of the Year 2019
- England’s Independent School of the Year 2018
- Britain’s Most Forward Thinking School 2017
- Outstanding Independent School 2016-2017
- Britain’s Most Forward Thinking School 2014
- UK Independent School of the Year 2013-14
- Tatler Headmaster of the Year 2012-13
- Sunday Times School of the Year 2011-12
How Ampla Education can help?
We provide all inclusive school placement services:
- Shortlist best fit schools that match your needs
- Submit school applications and any supporting documents that can strengthen your application
- Provide exam preparation and interview coaching lessons, both online or in-person (in Hong Kong/ UK)
- Arrange school tours (if you can visit the UK)
- Help you choose suitable UK based guardians
- Advise on final school selection
- Apply for Student Visa (or alternate visas)
- Ensure a smooth arrival in the UK
© Ampla Education – Unauthorised use of this material without permission is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full credit is given to Ampla Education.